http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbBuBh-URc&feature=youtu.be - The Dog and the Wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GUDyZo4ff-A - The Fox who lost his Tail
So what can we do with these machinima in language classes?
· The quality of English is poor, it is hard not to improve it whilst recording them – advanced students could work to improve the language of the tales.
· Students could do their own retelling of the story. Project the machinima, without sound into the classroom and allow students to relate their version of the story to their peers.
· As a longer project allow students to use the video footage and make a new soundtrack and thus produce a new machinima.
· Students could do a complete re-write of the story set in current times with two people instead of two animals, act them out in class, and possibly make a video of the new story.
· Investigate how some of the morals have become everyday idioms, this could lead to lots more work on idioms. Following are the morals and a few idioms that I consider possible offshoots or at least would make good discussion openers in brackets.